Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Prompt Time! Song Meme Exercise

Huzzah! NaNo Forum Prompt/Excercise time!

~Put your mp3 player, iPod, iTunes, media player, etc. on shuffle.
~Write for as long as one song lasts about something pertaining to that song (how you feel, how the lyrics create a story, etc.)
~STOP WHEN THE SONG ENDS
~Only do five songs to start off. Time runs fast!

This was fun! I did a few of these... but here's the last one. It's the only one that vaguely relates to Music Lessons, and actually, I liked it the most. (It helps that the song was only 7.5 minutes. :)) Mostly the way I wrote it... with a few minor edits I couldn't resist.

U2 - Moment of Surrender

“I was speeding on a subway / Through the stations of the cross / Every eye looking every other way / Counting down ‘til the pain would stop”

The world sped by, mile after mile, until it looked like it was moving and I was the one sitting still. I adjusted my rearview mirror, and dared to glance out the side window. Nothing but trees, trees blurring by. The ones further off seemed to slow until they ran backward. But I pushed on. The sun was setting in front of me.

I was driving on a deserted, open highway, back to my new home... if you want to call a little dorm home. But at this point, it felt more welcoming.

They say you can’t go back. And it’s true. I was returning to college after my first trip back to my small town, where everyone knows everyone else's business, but somehow manages to not know or recognize you, or even manage to care.

I turned the radio up a little bit, trying to lose myself in the music the way Shanna and I did just a few years ago. Part of me wished I could go back. Another part was glad to have that time behind me.

Things haven’t been the same since the night I found her at home, drugged up on a drug cocktail, trying to leave the cruel world that stole her mom -- our mom -- and took her innocence and youth as another casualty. It got better in some ways... she was still in counseling, but didn’t suffer from the suicidal thoughts or addictions now. She was working on her cosmetology license and even talking about college. She was beautiful and healthy.

She was alive. And she had hope.

I wish things had turned out so well for me.

I drove on, and as I did, I tried to hold back a tear that had threatened to escape since I pulled out of the driveway.

I wanted to believe all was right, but something set it off in me. The realization that most of us never notice the heartbreaking pain that everyone carries. Her pain. My pain. Even those closest to us couldn't see it.

I wondered how a world could be so beautiful and so heartless at the same time...

Oh noes! What’s going on ? :(
An epilogue of sorts. Probably TMI at this point. Still not sure what I’m going for with this, but it’s a start... and I don’t need to think about the ending now!

No comments:

Post a Comment